Survival Techniques For The Barely Insured
If you're anything like me, you're barely insured. I don't work for a company that offers benefits and so I've had to shop for individual insurance. Setting aside what a headache that was, I've ended up with catastrophic insurance. This means that if I step off a curb wrong and break every bone in my leg, I won't be in totally ruined. That said, I don't get any help with regular checkups or routine care.
There are lots of things I do every day to help keep the Doctor away that go far beyond a simple apple. Every day, I work toward more optimal health and have learned that prevention is far cheaper than treatment. Not only do I consider my health to be my greatest asset, but staying away from MDs is a financial reality I've had to learn to navigate. None of this is groundbreaking, but let it serve as a reminder that just like your financial health, your mental and physical health requires daily attention.
Yes, it's expensive and you'll probably never use it. I haven't had to go to the Doctor since college. The what-ifs however, are too disheartening to ignore. Any sort of grave accident or surprise diagnoses, without insurance, would have me sunk. I have an extremely high deductible and not surprisingly, it matches my emergency fund. If you feel like you don't need insurance at all, you don't necessarily need get much, but get yourself something.
We've heard it before but that still it doesn't seem to budge some of us. According to a study by the American Journal of Health Promotion, extremely overweight Americans have medical costs nearly 70 percent higher than those who fall into the normal weight range. It isn't all about keeping weight off; regular exercise keeps joints healthy and prepares you for life's tumbles. I mean that literally. I have a friend who hasn't a good sweat in years break his arm because he fell trying to avoid a skateboarder on the sidewalk. It's an unfortunate event that probably could have been avoided with a little increased strength and flexibility.
- Walk as much as you can, even if it means parking in the back of the parking lot.
- Take the stairs almost always even if you're like me and live on the fifth floor.
- YouTube your fitness. You have to look a little harder for quality, but YouTube is full of videos to help you meet your fitness goals. Whether it be a short yoga workout, some ab exercises, modified pushups, tai chi, parkours, you name it; type it into your search bar and give it a try.
- Attack the kitchen. Turn your canned goods into weights and know that a 10-pound bag of flour weighs the exact same amount as a 10-pound dumbbell.
- The local playground is my favorite gymnasium. After dinner, when kids are home, the monkey bars provide more challenge than anything I've found in doors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV