The broad indexes all moved up after the U.S. Commerce Department reported that new orders for manufactured goods in the U.S. increased by $3.3 billion, or 0.7%, to $469.0 billion during May, following a decline of 0.7% in April. Excluding transportation, new orders increased 0.4% during May.
New orders for transportation equipment increased by $1.7 billion, or 2.7%, in May, to $63.1 billion.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose slightly to close at 46.24, with all but three of the 24 index components rising during the abbreviated trading session.First Niagara's shares have now declined 9% year-to-date, after following a 35% during 2011.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV