The High-Frequency Conspiracy
It has been difficult for me personally to see this industry that I was once a proud part of become one of the most hated and least respected in the country now -- "bank" has become a four-letter word.
And I don't believe that I overstate the myriad ways the electronicization, computerized modeling and open pipelines which replaced the human brokers, traders and face-to-face trading have played a role in that destruction. While there have obviously been cases of bad faith and fraud on Wall Street before HFT, we never saw such endemic and closeted advantage of the little guy taken behind the high walls of off-exchange, unregulated dark pools.
Ultimately, no one is winning this race. Volatility continues to spike, as we are seeing with this $10 move upward in crude in little more than three trading sessions, money continues to be withdrawn from the equity markets and correlations continue to move toward parity -- when black boxes make everything a trade, fundamentals continue to lose all value and there isn't a safe and logical way to invest anymore.
That's where we've been heading: a place where bonds, commodities, stocks -- it's all the same -- move by split-second trade hedges carried out by computers.That's the scary world that Sal and Joe lay out in their book -- highly recommended.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV