Nucor and Freeport McMoRan are performing the best from 2009. The others are largely rewarding investors with dividends and not much else. TheStreet included Alcoa as Monday's featured metals and mining loser.
The company has rising revenue year-over-year of $21.01 billion last fiscal year compared to $18.44 billion in the previous year. The bottom line has rising earnings year-over-year of $254.00 million last fiscal year compared to $-1.15 billion in the previous year.
Short interest is high for such a relatively large company. In the last short interest report, 7.6% of the float was shorted. On June 15, the reported number of shares short was 17.4 million, the largest amount reported in the last year.
Short sellers are the smart money and when they start ramping up aggressiveness it pays to keep your eye on what they are doing. Alcoa hasn't moved the needle much since the depths of 2008-09. I consider it a failure to still trade under $9 a share. It's the same reason why I estimate earnings to come in lower than the mean estimate.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV