Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ: GEVO), working with the Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL), the Air Force Alternative Fuels Certification Division (AFCD) and the 40 Flight-Test Squadron, provided fuel for the first successful “alcohol-to-jet” (ATJ) fuel test flight, the company announced.
At 18:30 hours, on June 28, the USAF flew an A-10 Thunder Bolt jet aircraft powered by a Gevo-produced blend of 50% ATJ fuel and 50% JP-8. A series of flight test maneuvers, throttle bodies, auxiliary power unit (APU) starts and engine assisted starts were performed. The A-10 is a single-seat aircraft powered by two high-bypass GE TF34 turbofan engines. A Honeywell 36-50 APU is used for engine starting and in flight emergency power generation.
“We’re extremely proud to have witnessed and contributed to the USAF’s first and only ATJ test flight,” said Chief Operating Office and President Chris Ryan. “Last week’s test flight represented an accumulation of more than 4,000 hours of hard work involving innovative testing, multiple players and years of research on everyone’s part. Together, we have proven that ATJ fuel is a technically viable and promising alternative for both military and commercial applications.”
“This is a great accomplishment for the USAF, Gevo and the biofuels industry. We’ve validated that ATJ from isobutanol is a clean burning, homegrown, drop-in jet fuel. The USAF’s flight has taken the industry one step closer to full commercialization. We remain committed to commercialization and believe we have the most economic route to deliver aviation biofuels at scale,” Ryan said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV