The broad indexes ended mixed, after the Institute for Supply Management reported that its manufacturing index declined to 49.7% during June from May's reading of 53.5%. A reading above 50% indicates manufacturing sector expansion, while a reading of less than 50% indicates contraction. June was the first month for which the index read below 50% since July 2009.
The Institute for Supply Management also said that its New Orders Index dropped "dropped 12.3 percentage points in June, registering 47.8 percent and indicating contraction in new orders for the first time since April 2009, when the New Orders Index registered 46.8 percent."
In rosier economic news, the Commerce Department reported that total U.S. construction spending increased to a an estimated seasonally adjusted annual pace of $830.0 billion during May, increasing from a revised April estimate of $822.5 billion. A year earlier, estimated construction spending was at an annual pace of $775.8 billion.The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose 1% to close at 46.08, with all but three of the index components rising for the session. Bank of America's shares have now returned 45% year-to-date, after dropping 58% during 2011.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV