The finalisation of the terms of the settlement mean that this matter can be resolved within the existing pre-tax provision. The after tax cost will be approximately $150m lower than provided. As a result a credit will be recorded to the non-core tax charge for the second quarter 2012.
However, due to the evolving state litigation environment, GSK expects to utilise the tax benefit arising in recording an offsetting additional pre-tax provision of approximately $180m (equating to an after tax cost of $150m) related to these matters. This will be recorded as a non-core charge in SG&A in Q212.
The net effect of these movements on total earnings is expected to be neutral. The overall legal provision held for all matters across the Group will be reviewed as part of the company's standard quarterly close process.
GlaxoSmithKline - one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies - is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For further information please visit www.gsk.com.Cautionary statement regarding forward-looking statementsUnder the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, GSK cautions investors that any forward-looking statements or projections made by GSK, including those made in this announcement, are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Factors that may affect GSK' s operations are described under 'Risk factors' in the 'Financial review & risk' section in the company's Annual Report 2011 included as exhibit 15.2 to the company's Annual Report on Form 20-F for 2011. Registered in England & Wales: No. 3888792 Registered Office: 980 Great West Road Brentford, Middlesex TW8 9GS SOURCE GlaxoSmithKline plc
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV