Stocks Finish Mixed; Nasdaq Extends Rally
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks finished mixed on Monday, getting the holiday-shortened week off to a slow start following Friday's euphoric response to European summit developments.
The equity markets are slated to close early at 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday and be shut down completely on Wednesday for the July 4th Independence Day holiday.
Monday's economic data provided little impetus to rally further as a weaker than anticipated report showed a contraction in monthly manufacturing activity for the first time in nearly three years but the Nasdaq and S&P 500 both managed modest gains while the Dow finished more than 75 points above its session low.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost nearly 9 points, or 0.07%, to close at 12,871.The S&P 500 added more than 3 points, or 0.25%, to settle at 1365.51. The Nasdaq booked a gain of more than 16 points, or 0.55%, to finish at 2951, its high for the day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV