Updated with analyst comments and additional data throughout
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Struggling PC-maker Dell (DELL) has agreed to buy business software specialist Quest Software (QSFT) for $28 a share in cash -- or roughly $2.4 billion -- as it tries to reposition away from the shrinking personal computer market and into tech business services and analytics.
The bid by Dell confirms speculation that it was mulling a bid for Quest Software after the enterprise software specialist previously agreed to a $23 a share buyout offer by private equity firm and large shareholder Insight Venture Partners, which valued the Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based company at $2 billion.
However an unnamed "strategic bidder" during Quest Software's 60-day "go shop" period - presumably Dell -- raised the stakes and started a bidding war with Insight that's now pushed Quest Software's takeover price up by over 20%. Dell's secrecy in the process comes after it lost a heated 2010 bidding war with Hewlett Packard (HPQ) for 3PAR, which nearly tripled the date center software maker's market value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV