This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Older Americans Embrace New Technology, Even If They Struggle To Admit It

The technology habits of America’s Baby Boomers have gained a lot of attention, but much of the literature focuses on what they do and not why they do it. The recent Pew Research 1 study confirmed that older Americans have warmly embraced the Internet, social networking and especially email. The insight missing, until now, is how companies should position themselves to attract this growing group to their products and services.

Research by Perion Network Ltd. (NASDAQ: PERI), a developer of software tailored for 40+ Second Wave Adopters (SWAs) of technology, shows that older Americans have a cautious approach to technology but they still embrace it. Rather than engaging with technology because it is new or exciting, they base their technology decisions on the practical impact it will have on their lives. Though 88.5% of the Americans over 45 surveyed consider themselves slow to adopt technology, 84.8% adopt a new technology when it fits their current lifestyle, 89% will use new technology if it’s better than what they use today, and 79.2% find technology fun and enjoy new gadgets. By comparison, Internet penetration in the US is only 78.3% according to the International Telecommunications Union. 2

The results from February 2012 focus on the 2,963 American respondents who are users of Perion’s IncrediMail email client and over 45 years of age. Thirty-seven percent of respondents were male and 14% were between 45 and 54 with the remainder over 55. Using a widely recognized classification question, 3 only 11% of respondents were classified as “Early Adopters,” leaving 89% as “Second Wave Adopters.”

The large sample size enabled the study to delve further into the sub-groups of older technology users and their psychological profiles than most previously published research studies.

Key to understanding the segment is the recognition that SWAs over 45 do not fear technology, but they need to be a little more convinced to use it than others. Surprisingly, 76% said that technology was fun; not a term usually associated with technology amongst SWAs.

1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $94.03 -0.25%
FB $100.99 -0.01%
GOOG $681.05 -0.45%
TSLA $160.34 12.00%
YHOO $26.86 -0.89%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 15,714.70 -200.04 -1.26%
S&P 500 1,834.30 -17.56 -0.95%
NASDAQ 4,260.30 -23.2920 -0.54%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs