(all amounts in US$, unless otherwise indicated)
VANCOUVER, July 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Pan American Silver Corp. (PAAS: NASDAQ; PAA: TSX) (the "Company", or "Pan American"), today reported that, as expected, the governor of the province of Chubut, Argentina, Martin Buzzi, has submitted to the provincial legislature a draft law which, if passed, will regulate all future oil & gas and mining activities in the province. The draft legislation will be subject to review and possible modification by a parliamentary sub-committee, after which it will be submitted to the full legislature for debate and vote. Pan American's Navidad project is located in Chubut.
After two and a half years of patient and diligent work to advance the Navidad project into the development phase, Pan American was initially pleased to find that the draft legislation incorporated the expected zoning of the province, allowing for the development of Navidad as an open pit mine. However, this same draft legislation also introduces a series of new regulations that will greatly increase royalties on, and impose economic participation by the province in all mining projects, including Navidad. The proposed regulations include:
- A new 5% Net Smelter Return Royalty ("NSR") in favor of the province, which is in addition to the 3% NSR in favor of the province that already existed;
- A new requirement for Petrominera, a resource company owned by Chubut province, to receive no less than 4% of total sales; and
- A new requirement for Petrominera to receive a 7.0% direct carried net pre-tax profit interest. (In the event that a company can demonstrate that Petrominera's right to 4% of total sales would render a project uneconomic, then Petrominera's participation on the project's total sales would be reduced by up to 75%. However, in such case, the net pre-tax profit interest would be increased to a minimum of 12%.)
These increased royalties and the net carried interest are in addition to the 10% export duty payable on the sale of concentrates and the 35% income tax rate, which are payable to the federal government.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV