By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls want to run with SM Energy (SM).
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected a giant upside trade in the wildcat oil company, which operates in Texas, Louisiana, and the Rockies. It entailed the purchase of 10,000 November 55 calls for $4.05, while equal-sized blocks were sold in the November 70 calls for $1.10 and the November 35 puts for $1.80. Volume was more than triple open interest in all three strikes.
Buying calls lock in the purchase price for a stock, while selling calls fixes the exit level. Selling puts obligates the investor to buy shares if they fall to the strike price or below.As a result, the investor paid $1.15 to enter the position. He will collect $15 if SM rallied back to $70, representing a profit of more than 1,200%. In addition to the initial outlay, the trader also stands to lose money on the short puts if the stock falls below $35. SM rose 7.16% to $49.11 on Friday but came into the session down by more than one-third during the preceding three months. Most energy stocks have been hammered in that time amid worries of financial contagion from Europe and a slow recovery in China. That sentiment has improved markedly in the last week as investors jump into beaten-down names in the sector. Friday's bullish trade in SM pushed total option volume in the stock to 24 times greater than average. Russell has no positions in SM.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV