Shares of SunTrust (STI) of Atlanta closed at $24.23 Friday, returning 38% year-to-date, following a 40% decline during 2011.
The shares trade just above tangible book value, and for 9.1 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $2.65. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $1.91.
SunTrust will report its second-quarter results on July 20, with analysts expecting a 43-cent profit, compared to EPS of 46 cents in the first quarter and 33 cents in the second quarter of 2011.Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin rates SunTrust a "Buy," with a $28 price target, saying on Wednesday that "Investors remain focused on credit-related expenses, especially following mortgage repurchase preannouncements" from First Horizon and PNC. Usdin expects "continued directional improvement, but do not believe the magnitude of the decline [a $15 million decline in credit costs from the first quarter] will be enough on its own for the stock to break out." Usdin added that "the other big issue is that large swap maturities will remove $35mm of net interest income this quarter," although "we believe investors are up to speed on the swap roll-off, which should minimize the risk of sticker shock from the 10bp impact it will have on STI's net interest margin." Jefferies estimates that SunTrust will post second-quarter earnings of 42 cents a share, with EPS of $1.80 for all of 2012 and $2.65 in 2013. Interested in more on SunTrust? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV