1. Capital One Financial
Shares of Capital One Financial (COF) of McLean, Va., closed at $54.66 Friday, returning 30% year-to-date, following a flat return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.4 times tangible book value, and for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $6.85. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $6.51.
Capital One will report its second-quarter results on July 19, with analysts expecting earnings of $1.35 a share, including one-time items springing from the company's purchase of HSBC's U.S. credit card portfolio in May. The company earned $2.72 a share during the first quarter -- including a bargain purchase gain of $1.16 a share from its February purchase of ING Direct -- and $1.97 a share during the second quarter of 2011.Oppenheimer analyst Christ Kotowski rates Capital One "Outperform," with a $62 price target estimating the company will report second-quarter earnings of $1.21 a share, with full year EPS estimates of $7.77 for 2012 and $6.61 for 2003. Kotowski said on June 24 that he expects second-quarter results to be "messy and difficult to interpret because this quarter will include the HSBC acquisition and a full quarter of the ING Direct acquisitions." The analyst said "we have made the decision to model the legacy COF business and the ING Direct impact, but we have excluded the HSBC acquisition from our number," adding that "in 1Q12 the company provided enough details in the press release to track the apples-to-apples changes, and we suspect this quarter will be no different." Interested in more on Capital One Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV