Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
This piece has been updated and revised from its original publication.
Tips and Strategies"What's happening with your stocks doesn't always reflect what's going on with the underlying business," Cramer reminded viewers, as he outlined some new tips and strategies to help individual investors manage their portfolios and get back to even. Cramer explained that it's all too easy to assume a company and its stock are synonymous. After all, much of "Mad Money" is spent analyzing companies with good growth prospects and hefty dividends in the hopes they will reward shareholders for years to come. But in today's complicated markets, stocks, and markets, can move for many reasons, most of which have nothing to do with the underlying fundamentals. A company's performance and its stock price don't move in a straight line, said Cramer. For example, many investors now use exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, which trade sectors or even the entire market as a single commodity. This allows good companies to trade in lock-step with the bad ones. There are also macro-economic factors, such as the financial crisis in Europe, which weigh heavily on the day-to-day action of the markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV