HCC Insurance Holdings
The last name on today's list is -- surprise, surprise -- another insurance company. HCC Insurance Holdings (HCC) is having a strong showing this year, up more than 10% since the start of January, vs. gains of less than half that for the S&P 500. The firm is a leader in smaller insurance markets where competition is less. That skirts the commoditization woes that most other insurers face, even if it makes underwriting profits a bit less predictable in the short-term. Longer-term, it means that underwriting profits are much bigger than those of firms that focus on broad-line insurance where risks are overly-quantified and opportunities are arbitraged away.
HCC has paid a 15.5 cent dividend for the past three quarters (with a fourth slated for payment on July 16), and the firm looks due for a bigger payout. Currently just over 20% of profits get pushed through to investors -- I'm expecting a hike in the next quarter on HCC's 2% yield.To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Potential Financial Sector Dividend Stocks portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV