Diversified financial services firm Prudential Financial (PRU) is up first. The $21 billion firm has businesses ranging from insurance to annuities, retirement and investment management, a combination of one-time and recurring fee-based businesses that have helped PRU achieve stair-step revenue growth, in spite of 2008.
Prudential paid out an annual dividend of $1.45 last year. Investors should expect that payout to increase in 2012.Prudential is a major player in the insurance industry, a business where size doesn't matter much. After all, insurance offerings have become more commoditized thanks to an increasingly data-hungry and efficient insurance market. But size does allow Prudential to make deals and underwrite coverage that smaller peers can't touch. >>5 Dividend Stocks to Buy With Leverage Over Apple Meanwhile, more significant growth is coming from overseas (and to a lesser extent from fee-based businesses). Japan currently makes up around half of Prudential's annual profits. As insurance markets in other parts of Asia mature, risks should come down enough to allow Prudential to expand its reach even more. The firm's 3.18% dividend yield is hefty, but its payout ratio is only around 20%. There's ample room for a dividend hike right now. Prudential shows up on a list of 5 Buy-Rated Insurance Stocks for Long-Term Investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV