However, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Microsoft to come in and close the deal.
With a RIM acquisition, Microsoft should consider investing another few hundreds of dollars per user towards RIM's larger subscriber base and offer replacement phones based on the Windows Mobile operating system. It can then retain the BlackBerry email service as well as the popular BBM messenger service. This has the potential to quadruple its Windows smartphone user base and instantly make it a power among the ranks of Apple and Google.
Bottom LineAs disappointing as the earnings results were for RIM, the bigger disappointment was the delay of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones. This showed just how sad the company has become where even its "top priority" can't leave the productions line. It might be a blessing in disguise -- who knows? The company did say it plans to reduce its jobs by 5,000 people, or 30% of its workforce, as a way to trim $1 billion in annual costs. It remains to be seen what results from this. However, with the stock now trading at $7 and with no meaningful sign of support, the next target has to be $5, which I discussed only a couple of weeks ago. I still see an acquisition happening before it reaches that level. I just hope that the company does not open its mouth and screw it up. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV