"The loser now will be later to win, for the times they are a changin'."
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --At around 1,300, the S&P 500 was recently trading around 8% below the highs it made last spring, although it's still up by more than 3% for 2012. How does the performance of your stock portfolio compare?
Did your manager hold shares of J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM) when the recent news of its huge trading loss broke and its stock tanked? Did your manager fail to buy Apple (AAPL) before it enjoyed spectacular gains?Should you care? My answer is no, if you made good decisions about how to invest your money in the first place.
Don't believe me? Let's examine some facts:
As you can see, chasing performance as an investor is a failed strategy. That's why it's important for investors to make well-informed, intelligent decisions in the first place on how they invest their money, whether they're choosing a professional to do it for them or they're trying to do it themselves. If that initial decision is made poorly, then a change is probably wise. If, however, the initial decision was a good one, then it's absolutely crucial that investors refrain from being spooked by a slump.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV