Ultratech, Inc. (Nasdaq: UTEK), a leading supplier of lithography and laser-processing systems used to manufacture semiconductor devices, today announced that it has acquired the rights to a collection of patents from IBM - these include fundamental patents in packaging such as C4 bumping, Ball Grid Arrays, lead-free solders and 3D packaging. Representing both U.S. and foreign patents, the portfolio includes claims directed at methods of making, at compositions and at structures of semiconductor devices. This acquisition strengthens and broadens Ultratech’s offerings to facilitate advanced packaging at the lower device nodes.
“Ultratech has periodically purchased patents that it views are key to our business,” noted Ultratech Chairman and CEO Arthur W. Zafiropoulo. “The acquisition of these patents from IBM is the continuation of that strategy to ensure that our customers receive the highest technology content in their products. This acquisition reinforces our commitment to remain at the forefront of providing equipment with leading-edge technology and low cost-of-ownership advantages for our global customer base.”
About Ultratech: Ultratech, Inc. (Nasdaq: UTEK) designs, manufactures and markets photolithography and laser processing equipment. Founded in 1979, the company's market-leading advanced lithography products deliver high throughput and production yields at a low, overall cost of ownership for bump packaging of integrated circuits and high-brightness LEDs (HB-LEDs). A pioneer of laser processing, Ultratech developed laser spike anneal technology, which increases device yield, improves transistor performance and enables the progression of Moore's Law for 32-nm and below production of state-of-the-art consumer electronics. Visit Ultratech online at: www.ultratech.com.
About IBM: For more information on IBM, please visit: www.ibm.com(UTEK-F)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV