Earlier this week, the communications technology company announced the dates for its 2012 World Conferences at which it will unveil and demonstrate some new products.
Shares have be trending upward the last two weeks, but have lost about 23% year-to-date.
Research In Motion (RIMM) stumbled as investors await first-quarter earnings after market close.RIM CEO Thorsten Heins forecasted a first-quarter operating loss, further pressuring the company's stock. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the beleaguered electronics company to report a loss of 3 cents per share on $3.09 billion in revenue. Shares of RIM dropped 2.33% to $9.22. Qualcomm (QCOM) announced plans to overhaul its corporate structure early on Thursday driving shares south. "Our internal reorganization will provide even greater protection for our industry-leading intellectual property portfolio as our products and services businesses seek to accelerate innovation and deliver our products to market quickly," Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs explained in the company's statement. "We are confident that this change to our corporate structure will be accomplished with little to no disruption to employees and customers." Qualcomm shares slumped 2% to $53.81 during Thursday trade. Shares of VMware's (VMW) continued to fall on news of a competing low-cost product from Red Hat (RHT). Earlier this week, Red Hat hosted a summit in Boston to launch the Hybrid IaaS, a cloud computing system to rival VMware's vCloud. VMware's competitive advantage is its early lead, but shares tumbled 6.15% to $83.22 on Thursday. Red Hat was down 4.34% to $52.06. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV