RIM Plunges on Loss; BB10 Delay: Live Blog Recap
The embattled Canadian handset maker had already forecast an operating loss for the quarter, but its results came in well below analysts' expectations. RIM reported an adjusted loss of $192 million, or 37 cents a share, on revenue of $2.81 billion, down 43% from revenue of $4.91 billion in the year-ago equivalent period.
RIM reports its first-quarter results after market close.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the Waterloo, Ontario-based company to report a loss of 4 cents per share on $3.07 billion in revenue."I am not satisfied with these results and continue to work aggressively with all areas of the organization and the Board to implement meaningful changes to address the challenges, including a thoughtful realignment of resources and honing focus within the Company on areas that have the greatest opportunities," said CEO Thorsten Heins in a statement released after market close. RIM also announced 5,000 job cuts, as well as another delay for its long awaited BlackBerry 10 technology. "Our top priority going forward is the successful launch of our first BlackBerry 10 device, which we now anticipate will occur in the first quarter of calendar 2013," said Heins. RIM shares plunged 15.01% to $7.76 in extended trading as investors digested the results. Check out TheStreet's blog recap for more details from the company's first-quarter conference call. --Written by James Rogers, Chris Ciaccia and Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV