PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) â¿¿ Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc. said Thursday that its fiscal third-quarter net income slid 66 percent as it deals with higher costs and lower selling prices in its metals recycling unit .
But the company's earnings beat Wall Street's forecast and its share rose in midday trading.
Last month Schnitzer cautioned that global demand for recycled metals was still weak and that it was experiencing increased costs for raw materials and freight.
The Portland, Ore., company is one of the largest exporters of recycled ferrous metals in the U.S. It also operates automotive parts and steel manufacturing divisions.Schnitzer earned $11.2 million, or 40 cents, per share, for the three months ended May 31 compared with $33 million, or $1.18 per share, a year ago. Analysts expected earnings of 30 cents per share, according to a FactSet survey. Revenue dropped 10 percent to $879.9 million from $981.1 million. Analysts expected revenue of $891.9 million. Schnitzer said that the metals recycling unit's average nonferrous sales price was 97 cents per pound compared with $1.12 per pound in the prior-year period. The company's stock rose 2 cents to $24.91 in midday trading. They have traded in a 52-week range of $22.78 to $59.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV