This is always a sign that something is going on within the REIT. In Corporate Office Property Trust's case it is due to a portfolio restructuring.
In April 2011, management and the Board announced a strategic reallocation plan that called for the disposition of $512 million in operating properties and $50 million in land.
Warren Buffett believes in picking an industry in which you know much more than the average investor. He calls that industry your circle of competence. His partner Charlie Munger once said that the simple way to get success in life is to play on the field that we are the best at, otherwise we would get beaten up pretty fast.
Corporate Office Property Trust has come to the same conclusion and is reorganizing its portfolio to operate within its circle of competence.
Tenant DiversityAs 60% of Corporate Office Property Trust's annualized rents are derived from office properties occupied primarily by government agencies and defense IT contractors, its tenant roster is somewhat concentrated. It includes Northrop Grumman (NOC), Computer Sciences (CSC), Wells Fargo (WFC), Boeing (BA) and Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH). In fact, 36 of the 50 largest Defense Contractors, or 72%, already are COPT tenants:
OccupancyLike most office REITs, Corporate Office Properties Trust's occupancy has been hard hit and slow to recover.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV