Updated from 12:02 p.m. EDT with closing health care stock prices
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday to uphold the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act -- simply known as Obamacare.
Chief Justice John Roberts joined four Democratic-appointed justices to uphold the entirety of the health care law in a 5-4 decision.
The court ruled that the individual mandate survived as a tax.
The court determined that Medicaid provision of the sweeping health care legislation would leave it up to individual states to determine whether they would participate in the expansion set for 2014.
Medicaid HMOs soared after the ruling, largely due to an expected 16 to 20 million new Americans who would be eligible to enroll in the government program in 2014: Amerigroup (AGP) was at $65.47, up $3.07 or 4.9%, Molina (MOH) at $23.16, up $1.84, or 8.6%, and Centene (CNC) at $30.59, up 68 cents or 2.3%.
Diversified health care companies fell on the news as the regulatory burdens set by Obamacare -- minimum medical loss ratio, exchanges and rate reviews -- would cause them trouble. Aetna (AET) closed at $39.85, down $1.11, or 2.7%, Cigna (CI) was at $44.18, down $1.22, or 2.7%, and Coventry (CVH) at $32.46, down 77 cents, or 2.3%.
-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV