WASHINGTON, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Research Universities Futures Consortium, a group of 25 leading U.S. public and private research universities, announced today the findings of a new study: The Current Health and Future Well-Being of the American University . The study, funded by Elsevier, outlines the critical challenges faced by U.S. research universities today and calls for collaborative action, suggesting a shift of focus towards productivity. It also identifies the need for better information and cohesive strategies to address these challenges effectively in order to sustain U.S. competitive advantage.
U.S. Research Universities are at a critical juncture. American Research Universities are facing combined pressures of declining funding, increasing competition, intensifying compliance requirements, and loss of political and public confidence in the value of academic research. At the same time, the expectations for scientific research to produce solutions to today's global challenges have never been higher.
The study, led by Dr. Brad Fenwick, professor and former Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, conducted in depth interviews with the research leaders of 25 leading research universities. A day-long report development workshop was conducted at a national meeting in Washington DC to review the findings and discuss preliminary solutions.
The study reveals the following core challenges:
- HYPERCOMPETITION AND COMPLEXITY: Scarcity of resources, relative to the demand for them, has engendered a hypercompetitive environment and increased the difficulty of managing academic research activities.
- COMPLIANCE AND INDIRECT COST RECOVERY: The growing number of regulations, reporting requirements and unfunded mandates have exacerbated institutional stress and increased pressure on administration while diverting valuable faculty time from research.
- RESEARCH QUALITY AND IMPACT: Innovation requires diverse, high quality research. Standard metrics of quality and impact that reliably reflect the complexity and nuances of today's research need to be developed by the academic research community in partnership with key stakeholders. Such metrics will provide more transparency and enable more effective management of research to improve productivity and research outcomes.
- PLANNING AND DECISION SUPPORT: Enabling the highest impact research requires current and predictive data to assess programs, and to evaluate key opportunities in a funding-constrained environment. Strategic decision making requires credible local, national and international data.
- VALUE OF THE RESEARCH UNIVERSITY: The value of the research university in serving society, contributing to local economies, and promoting national innovation and security needs to be better communicated.
- FRAGILITY OF RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION AND LEADERSHIP: The complexity and fragility of the academic research administrative enterprise and leadership responsibilities is not fully understood or appreciated within the university or by sponsors and stakeholders. Better understanding of and support for research administration and leadership will help institutions to increase the productivity and build competitive advantage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV