Summer is officially underway, and small businesses report that they are already feeling the heat -- in a good way. More than half (55 percent) of small business owners and managers see their businesses as “heating up” and expect business to grow over the rest of the year, according to a survey conducted by Staples, Inc.
Many small businesses surveyed continue to feel more confident, with 70 percent reporting that they are planning to make changes that position themselves for growth, and nearly 40 percent of those surveyed are looking to increase marketing communications for the rest of the year.
In another indicator of the mindset of small businesses, a majority of owners responded that they feel comfortable leaving the office for a traditional vacation. More than half surveyed are planning summer vacation this year (67 percent), with 89 percent planning to leave town, instead of taking a “staycation” at home. Technology certainly makes this easy, with more than half planning to use laptops or other electronic devices to stay connected.
“We are pleased that small businesses are taking time to enjoy the summer and are glad that our small business customers are feeling more optimistic,” said Alison Corcoran, senior vice president of retail marketing for Staples.Game OnWith the weather heating up and the summer games around the corner, owners feel that running a small business can be similar to training for elite competition. In fact, many small business owners feel ready for competition in their own “Small Business Summer Games” and compare themselves to the following athletes:
- Marathon Runner (33 percent): steady and focused with a strategy to win
- Synchronized Swimmer (18 percent): organized, consistent and harmonized
- Swimmer (17 percent): dive right into projects with an emphasis on speed and results
- Track Runner (17 percent): constantly jumping over hurdles to cross the finish line
- Gymnast (15 percent): agile, knowing how to tumble and land on their feet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV