Lawson Products, Inc. (NASDAQ:LAWS) (“Lawson” or the “Company”) today announced a strategic restructuring consisting of initiatives to reduce its cost structure, improve operating efficiency, enhance revenues and improve its liquidity position. All of the initiatives are designed to strengthen the Company’s ability to compete in the MRO marketplace and positively impact its operating results. When fully implemented, these actions will create a simplified and flattened organizational structure and are expected to generate net annualized savings of approximately $20.0 million.
In conjunction with these initiatives, the Company said it has received a commitment letter from its lender to replace its existing credit facility with a new five-year, $40 million facility, which provides additional flexibility to meet financial covenants going forward. Lawson Products also said it anticipates it will record pre-tax charges for the second quarter of approximately $40.0 million, of which $33.0 million will be non-cash.
“We have made significant progress over the past 18 months in the transformation of the Company, including the implementation of our ERP system, commencing the sales-channel transformation and optimizing our distribution network,” stated Thomas Neri, President and Chief Executive Officer. “At the same time, with an increased focus on MRO, we have consolidated a number of units and sold two non-core operations, which represented approximately $80 million of annual revenue at the time of their sales.
“It is necessary, therefore, that we adjust our cost structure to better balance against our current revenue base in order for us to improve our operating results. Accordingly, the Company is taking the steps it believes necessary to build the foundation of operational excellence required to succeed.”Restructuring Initiatives Details of each initiative follow:
- Cost Structure. With an objective of making the Company leaner and more cost efficient, Lawson Products is eliminating approximately 100 positions (11 percent) from its current workforce. As part of this action, the Company is eliminating several senior executive positions, including the open chief operating officer position. The workforce reduction, which does not include a reduction in the Company’s sales force, is expected to result in a one-time severance charge of approximately $7.0 million for the second quarter of 2012. The Company also expects to complete other cost-cutting measures such as a rationalization of inventory and reduction of controllable costs such as travel, marketing and net outbound freight expenses. In total, these cost-cutting measures, when fully implemented, are expected to generate approximately $20.0 million of net annualized savings.
- Operating Efficiency. The Company is taking several steps to improve the efficiency of its operations, including simplifying its business processes, flattening the organization (with fewer vertical functions and a streamlined reporting process) and recapturing lost margin opportunities. As previously announced, the Company is streamlining its customer-fulfillment process and inventory management with its consolidation of three Illinois locations into a single operation in McCook, Illinois, which will be the hub for the Midwest.
- Revenue Enhancement. Lawson Products said it expects the cost-saving and efficiency benefits derived from the restructuring to support, and help increase, its focus on several initiatives designed to drive revenue. These include emphasizing target accounts, core products and service delivery (especially vendor-managed inventory), accelerating its sales-transformation process, completing its tier-pricing model and launching its e-commerce site.
- Revised Credit Agreement. The Company has received a commitment from its lender to enter into a new five-year, $40.0 million credit facility that will provide greater flexibility for the Company to meet its financial covenants. The facility will replace its existing $55.0 million credit facility. The Company said that, in connection with the new facility, it expects to receive a waiver under the existing facility for compliance with the minimum EBITDA covenant for the quarter ended June 30, 2012.
- Anticipated Second Quarter Charges. In addition to the approximate $7.0 million pre-tax severance charge associated with the workforce reductions, the Company said it anticipates taking additional pre-tax charges of approximately $33.0 million in one-time non-cash write-offs for the second quarter. These charges primarily consist of an impairment of goodwill of $28.0 million, which was generated from an acquisition in 2001 and was deemed impaired under the required accounting guidance. As a result of rationalizing inventory, the Company will also record additional inventory reserves of approximately $5.0 million for the quarter. The anticipated charges are pre-tax and exclude any potential reserves that may be required on the recoverability of deferred tax balances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV