Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ: PRGS), a global software company that simplifies and enables the development, deployment and management of business applications, announced today results for its fiscal second quarter ended May 31, 2012.
Revenue for the quarter was $114.6 million, down from $134.7 million in the same quarter last year, a decrease of 12% on a constant currency basis, or 15% otherwise.
Revenue for the strategic "Core" products, represented by the Progress® OpenEdge ® platform, DataDirect® Connect products and the Decision Analytics portfolio (comprising Progress Apama®, Progress Corticon® BRMS and the Progress Control Tower®) was $78.7 million, down from $91.2 million in the same quarter last year, a year-over-year decline of 10% on a constant currency basis, or 14% otherwise.
On a GAAP basis, consolidated results in the fiscal second quarter of 2012 were:
- Loss from operations was $(3.8) million compared to income from operations of $27.2 million in the same quarter last year;
- Net loss was $(1.9) million compared to net income of $18.0 million in the same quarter last year; and
- Diluted earnings per share were $(0.03) compared to $0.26 in the same quarter last year.
- Adjusted income from operations was $19.6 million compared to $39.8 million in the same quarter last year;
- Adjusted net income was $13.5 million compared to $26.6 million in the same quarter last year; and
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share were $0.21 compared to $0.38 in the same quarter last year.
- Revenue for non-Core products was $35.9 million compared to $43.5 million in the same quarter last year;
- Cash flows from operations were $15.2 million, a decrease from $38.8 million in the same quarter in fiscal 2011;
- Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments increased to $328.2 million from $261.4 million at the end of the fiscal fourth quarter 2011;
- DSO was 67 days, down 7 days from the fiscal first quarter of 2012 and up 6 days year-over-year; and
- Headcount was 1,607, down 8% from the end of last quarter and down 3% from one year ago.
- Cost Savings and Re-Investment — The company initiated cost reduction efforts during the fiscal second quarter, and reductions in our global workforce were substantially completed in all jurisdictions besides Europe, where the legal notification processes commenced. Facilities consolidations will occur during the fiscal third quarter. Ultimately, when completed, we will reduce our annual run-rate costs by approximately $55 million gross value, with the net reduction of $40 million after reinvesting $15 million back into the Core business;
- Share Repurchase — The company reiterates its plans to execute a $150 million share repurchase before the end of the fiscal year ending November 30, 2012, and its intent to repurchase at least another $200 million in fiscal 2013; and
- Divest Non-Core Product Lines — The company has made substantial progress toward the divestiture of the ten product lines identified as non-Core in its strategic plan, including entering into a definitive purchase and sale agreement for the FuseSource product line with Red Hat, Inc. Subject to customary closing conditions, the FuseSource divestiture is expected to be completed in the fiscal third quarter of 2012. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.