NEW YORK (TheStreet) - With Facebook's (FB) post-IPO quiet period over, analysts are flooding to cover the social networking phenomenon. Most are cautious but positive overall about the company's prospects, according to a firehose of research released on Wednesday.
The end of the 40-day quiet period means that the IPO underwriters can initiate coverage of the social networking giant, prompting a slew of research notes from the likes of Morgan Stanley (MS), Citigroup (CITI). JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Goldman Sachs (GS).
Lead underwriter Morgan Stanley kicked off its coverage with an 'overweight' rating and a $38 price target.
"We believe that Facebook is uniquely positioned to leverage its large and highly-engaged user base to monetize the mobile Internet," explained Morgan analyst Scott Devitt, in his note. "Facebook is executing against three key priorities: aggregation, product initiatives, and monetization."Not all analysts, however, were quite as bullish. Bank of America Merrill Lynch, for example, initiated its coverage with a 'neutral' rating, but acknowledged Facebook's potential. "Modest user monetization suggests big room for growth," explained analyst Justin Post, in a note, pointing to the company's Average Revenue Per User of $5, compared to Google's (GOOG) $31. "We expect recently launched new ad formats, including Sponsored Stories in mobile and Promoted Posts to accelerate revenue growth in the second half of 2012, a potential catalyst." Here's a roundup of Facebook coverage:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV