Following Whitehurst's investment advice means looking for companies adding value through information and open source code, and going beyond arguments over the nuts and bolts that companies like Microsoft (MSFT), Oracle (ORCL) and even Red Hat offer to the innovations emerging from using the tools.
Whitehurst was followed by Robert LeBlanc, senior vice president of the International Business Machines (IBM) software group, who said his company's latest survey of CIOs shows analytics and mobility are now the main focus, and that computer security has become a boardroom issue.
Linux is the key to solving the problems because it's open to everyone. "It's a meritocracy," he said. "Only those who bring value get their code accepted."LeBlanc, who spoke almost as long as Whitehurst, if not as elegantly, also illustrated a key point by his presence. Red Hat is a small fish in its own pond. IBM remains computing's key holding. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV