The Hong Kong Hang Seng index closed up by 1.03% and the Nikkei in Japan settled up by 0.77%.
August crude oil futures settled up 85 cents at $80.21 a barrel. August gold futures shed $3.50 to settle at $1,578.40 an ounce.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was up 2/32, diluting the yield to 1.626%, while the greenback rose 0.24%, according to the dollar index.
In corporate news, Facebook (FB) was down slightly in afternoon action as a slew of analysts initiated coverage of the social networking giant, giving the stock mixed reviews. The share closed off 2.8%.Shares of Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) soared more than 28% after the company's weight loss pill Belviq secured marketing approval from the Food and Drug Administration. Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) announced an additional $3 billion buyback authorization after Tuesday's closing bell. Shares added 1.7%. Seed giant Monsanto (MON) reported third-quarter profit of $1.63 a share, beating the profit estimate of $1.60 a share of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Shares gained nearly 4%. Home builder Lennar (LEN) reported second-quarter earnings of 21 cents a share, beating the average analyst expectation for earnings of 17 cents a share. Shares rose 4.7%. Food company General Mills (GIS) is projecting full-year profit of $2.65 a share, falling short of the consensus estimate of $2.75 a share, according to Thomson Reuters. Shares fell 1.6%.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV