ADA-ES, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADES) (“ADA”) today announced that it has initiated the fabrication and construction phase of a 1MW Carbon Dioxide (CO 2) Capture Pilot Plant. ADA’s regenerable solid-sorbent-based clean coal technology captures CO 2 from coal-fired power plants and industrial sources. The pilot will be installed at Southern Company subsidiary Alabama Power’s Miller Electric Generating Plant outside Birmingham, Alabama. ADA is the prime contractor for this $20.5 million project administered by the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory’s Carbon Capture Program (DOE-NETL), which is providing $15 million of the funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Southern Company is co-funding the project with other participants.
ADA’s technology offers the potential to significantly reduce the amount of energy required to capture CO 2 when compared to competing technologies. The pilot plant is scheduled to commence operation in October 2013 and is targeted to demonstrate the technical, economic and energy benefits of a promising CO 2 capture technology. Results from pilot testing will be used to develop a preliminary full-scale commercial design in preparation for demonstration at the next scale.
Dr. Michael Durham, President and CEO of ADA, commented, “ We believe that this project is an important step in advancing ADA’s vision for a future with cleaner energy. ADA has an established track record of engaging in collaborative partnerships with DOE-NETL and our power generating customers to develop and commercialize innovative solutions to reduce emissions from coal, a low-cost, abundant and secure national fuel resource.”
“This project is an important addition to Southern Company’s portfolio of industry-leading carbon capture technology research and development,” said Chris Hobson, Southern Company Chief Environmental Officer.About ADA ADA is a leader in clean coal technology and the associated specialty chemicals, serving the coal-fueled power plant industry. Our proprietary environmental technologies and specialty chemicals enable power plants to enhance existing air pollution control equipment, minimize mercury, CO 2 and other emissions, maximize capacity, and improve operating efficiencies, to meet the challenges of existing and pending emission control regulations. With respect to mercury emissions:
- Through our consolidated subsidiary, Clean Coal Solutions, LLC (“CCS”), we provide our patented Refined Coal (“RC”) CyClean™ technology to enhance combustion of and reduce emissions from burning Powder River Basin (“PRB”) coals in cyclone boilers and our patent pending M-45™ technology for other types of coal and boilers. Both technologies reduce emissions of NOx and mercury in coal fired boilers.
- We supply Activated Carbon Injection (“ACI”) and Dry Sorbent Injection (“DSI”) systems, mercury measurement instrumentation, and related services.
- Under an exclusive development and licensing agreement with Arch Coal, we are developing and commercializing an enhanced PRB coal with reduced emissions of mercury and other metals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV