But that all came to a screeching halt in the 2008 recession, said Cramer, when the notion of tangible book value, the matrix used to value a bank, became meaningless among incalculable loan losses.
But now that time has passed and home sales and values are again on the rise, Cramer said a bank merger or acquisition would not shock him. Cramer said he doesn't know if the Regions Financial (RF) rumors are true, but it certainly wouldn't surprise him.
--Written by Scott Rutt in Washington, D.C.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Scott Rutt.To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/scottrutt. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. To watch replays of Cramer's video segments, visit the Mad Money page on CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV