All of that money will have been wasted, massive uncertainty will return, and these companies will be faced with the obligatory opportunity to spend millions more for and against political candidates up for election this November. These companies would have to spend even more money to shape the next health care law as both sides have promised replacement legislation.
If the Conservatives write the alternate plan, coverage for kids up to age 26 under their parents' plans and protection from being excluded from the insurance market due to pre-existing conditions would be replaced with Federal-level lawsuit damage liability caps that have failed to restrain health care costs in the states that have implemented such caps.
Obi-Wan Kenobi said to Darth Vader, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." Many Liberals want and many Conservatives fear that if Obamacare is struck down, it could be replaced with a single-payer Medicare-For-All plan that would devastate private health insurance companies.
The gulf of uncertainty between these two philosophies is not good for health care stocks and funds. Eventually, businesses will understand that the inherently unprofitable expense of health care would be better borne by government in order to increase U.S. companies' global competitiveness. But, that day is not yet here.-- Opinions of Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
For additional Investment Research check out our Ratings Research Center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV