10 Home Improvements You're Wasting Time and Money On
This is an idea that seems better and better with each passing summer, but never quite lives up to its potential.
Remodeling puts together a bare-bones 200-square-foot sunroom with 14 windows, 10 vented skylights, a sliding door and wiring for ceiling fans and sconces and still manages to to spend more than $74,000. A homeowner will be lucky to get $34,000 of that back in the sale price; a sunroom's value tends to drop by 54% or more.
That's assuming you've built a sunroom in a climate that actually, you know, gets sun every so often. If you've made this splurge in the Northeast, Great Lakes or the Pacific Northwest, expect buyers to put a bit less of a premium on your view of the clouds.
Home office remodel
Listen, we fully understand the home office. There's a lot more telecommuting these days, there's still a need for a professional working environment and this keeps everything nice and clean when the expense reports need to be mailed out and the taxes need to be filed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV