10 Home Improvements You're Wasting Time and Money On
Replacing a fiberglass entry door
You love your old, scuffed-up fiberglass door. It looks like home and, for all you know, has been saving you hundreds in heating and cooling costs for years.
It's just too bad that door's been lying to you this whole time.
Not only is a fiberglass door nearly three times as expensive as its steel counterpart, but it's also not doing your house any big favors. A $3,600 fiberglass door loses roughly 44% of its value the minute it's installed. A $1,000 steel door, meanwhile, isn't nearly as aesthetically pleasant, but retains 73% of its cost. At that rate, it's the most valuable single remodel you can do to your home.
This one's a really tough call families in one and one-and-a-half bathroom households struggle with every year once it's time to host holidays and family reunions.
Emergency preparedness comes at a price, especially for worrywarts. Yes, there are some folks who live in areas of the country where the grid isn't all it could be and where power gets knocked out on a fairly consistent basis. Then there are those who lose power for a day and wonder how they're going to do their hair. The latter may not think dropping $15,000 for 70 amps of emergency power is a big deal and may dismiss the 53% of the investment that never makes it into a home's resale value. The former may want to reconsider paying $15,000 to get $7,000 if the only reason they're getting a generator is to prevent $30 in groceries from spoiling the next time a transformer blows.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV