NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The media industry may lose another conglomerate after News Corp. (NWSA) confirmed on Tuesday a report in its Wall Street Journal that the company may split into two companies, one focused on its newspapers and publishing businesses and the other on entertainment.
While news of the split is a major development for Rupert Murdoch's media empire -- pushing its shares to a four-year high in Tuesday trading -- a decision to spin off businesses would also be a meaningful moment for the media industry.
If News Corp. were to split, Disney (DIS) would remain the only major consumer media conglomerate left intact after a generation of consolidation and M&A that created sprawling media giants in the U.S. and Europe.
The split is being considered by an embattled Murdoch, who was told by a British House of Commons Culture Committee in May that a phone-hacking scandal at the company's British newspaper unit shows he is unfit to lead the media giant, which owns Fox broadcast network, Fox News, Twentieth Century Fox and a near 40% stake in British Sky Broadcasting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV