Last up is Oi (OIBR), the Brazilian telecom giant. Oi is the largest fixed-line operator in Brazil with more than 20 million subscribers, and it's one of the biggest mobile carriers in the country, with 41 million cellular subscribers -- a 20% share of the market.
Oi's business isn't unlike that of a telecom company here at home. Fixed lines provide consistent (albeit atrophying) cash generation, while mobile is the path to growth. A recently launched satellite TV service is another growth avenue for Oi, and subscribers have been piling onto the network's service in the last year and change.That diversification in networks (wireline, mobile, and satellite) is interesting -- it allows Oi to bundle services without tying the firm down to a single mode of communication. As a result, Oi will hypothetically be able to jettison its fixed-line business one day without incurring big capital write-offs. That's something you don't see among telcos here at home. Still, competition is fierce in the Brazilian telecom industry, and short sellers are largely positioned against Oi. Currently, the firm's short-interest ratio weighs in at 12, a number that means it would take two and a half weeks of buying pressure for shorts to get out. Second quarter earnings this summer could be a catalyst for a short squeeze. To see this week's short squeezes in action, check out the of Foreign Short Squeezes portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV