Canadian energy company Imperial Oil (IMO) isn't some unfamiliar business in a faraway land -- it's a Calgary-based integrated oil firm that produces, refines and sells oil in our neighbor to the North.
Still, as oil prices slip lower, short-selling pressure is hammering this foreign stock, and that's setting shares up for a pop. A short interest ratio of 12.6 means that it would take close to three weeks of buying pressure at current volume levels for shorts to exit their bets against Imperial Oil.>>5 Energy Stocks T. Boone Pickens Loves Right Now Imperial has significant resources in Canada's oil business. The firm's proven reserves currently stand at 3.78 billion barrels of oil equivalent, all most all of which is oil (rather than natural gas). That positioning makes IMO a slightly higher-beta play on the oil business, positioning that hasn't been great in the last couple of months, but is great when oil's looking stronger. It's an attractive enough mix that Exxon Mobil (XOM) is a big fan of the firm -- Exxon owns 70% of outstanding shares. Imperial runs a tight ship. The firm is focused on improving efficiency, and its double-digit net margins are evidence of that, particularly when the dilutive effects of the low-margin refining business are factored in. Second-quarter earnings on July 26 could be a big catalyst for shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV