This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Time to Get Into Water

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I'm a proponent of the notion that water should be viewed as an asset class, appropriate for inclusion in investor's portfolios, but in small amounts.

We certainly can't live without water, and in general, potable water is in short supply. It has been estimated that 97.5% of the earth's water supply contains too much salt for human consumption, leaving just 2.5% that is fresh water. But two-thirds of the fresh water is frozen in glaciers and ice caps, so the supply is indeed limited.

Unlike oil, however, water is a renewable resource. Theoretically, the supply does not change over time; what is consumed or evaporated eventually returns. The problem is that it does not always return to the places where it is needed, and what is taken for granted in some areas is in very short supply in others. Or, there's simply too much of it, and devastating floods are the result.

The choices for obtaining exposure to water in a portfolio sense are somewhat limited. However, it can be done. I've obtained my exposure via companies that own water in the ground, although this is often just a part of their operation.

One example is La Jolla, California-based PICO Holdings (PICO - Get Report), a mini-conglomerate, which owns the Vidler Water Company. Vidler develops new sources of water primarily in the southwestern part of the US, an area known for being very dry. The company owns a significant array of water and water assets, primarily in Nevada and Arizona.

Vidler generates its revenue by selling water resources for both residential and industrial use, and through water storage. One of the company's major projects, the Fish Springs Ranch (Vidler is 51% owner) was the construction of a 35 mile pipeline designed to deliver 8,000 acre feet annually to an area north of Reno Nevada. Unfortunately, this project has suffered due to the poor economy.

Vidler Water represents a small fraction of PICO's total revenue, but 46% of the company's net assets. PICO's performance has been disappointing in recent years, to say the least, and it has been a difficult company for investors to understand.
1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AWK $72.76 0.51%
CWT $27.93 0.47%
PICO $9.93 -0.50%
WTR $31.66 0.51%
AAPL $93.74 -1.15%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,773.64 -57.12 -0.32%
S&P 500 2,065.30 -10.51 -0.51%
NASDAQ 4,775.3580 -29.9330 -0.62%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs