ST. PAUL, Minn., June 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Addressing the growing health crisis resulting from prolonged sitting and inactivity, Ergotron, a leading manufacturer of sit-to-stand office solutions and a subsidiary of Nortek, Inc. (Nasdaq "NTK"), is hosting the 2nd Annual JustStand™ Wellness Summit at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, Minnesota on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
At the day-long event, researchers will be announcing breaking results from several studies which used the Ergotron WorkFit sit-stand workstations. Ergotron's WorkFit workstations, which enable postural rotation, give users the ability to easily alternate between a seated and standing position frequently during their day. Expert panels will also share perspectives, successes and challenges businesses face when creating corporate cultures that facilitate healthier, more active work routines.
The term "Sitting Disease" has been coined by the scientific community and is commonly used when referring to metabolic syndrome and the ill-effects of an overly sedentary lifestyle. The research lists physical inactivity and a sedentary lifestyle as key risk factors in 4 out of the top 7 killers in the U.S. In modern workplaces, more jobs require extended and prolonged sitting time, with an increasing percentage of this population spending more than seven hours sitting in an average day. The research also shows that employees that sit too much are open to not only the aches and pains of prolonged inactivity, but also back pain, metabolic syndrome, hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and certain types of cancers.
"The concerns tied to prolonged sitting and inactivity impact every corner of the globe and it's time we all literally took a 'stand' to counter its impact," said Joel Hazzard, president and CEO, Ergotron. "The Summit presenters' research validates long-held assumptions that sit-to-stand computing can improve an employee's wellness and productivity while also positively impacting an employer's profitability."The JustStand Wellness Summit will feature keynote presentations as well as interactive discussions. Business leaders will be sharing why they are leading the change with employee access to sit-stand solutions beyond the prescriptive bias. Confirmed presenters include:
- Dr. David Dunstan: Head of the Physical Activity laboratory in the Division of Metabolism and Obesity at Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Australia;
- Dr. James Levine, MD, Ph.D. – Mayo Clinic: Ground-breaking obesity researcher; and world's leading expert in the field of N.E.A.T.™ (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) research; and
- Dr. Nico Pronk Ph.D., FACSM: vice president for Health Management at HealthPartners; founding president of the International Association for Worksite Health Promotion (IAWHP).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV