PLEASANTON, Calif., June 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Thoratec Corporation (NASDAQ: THOR), a world leader in device-based mechanical circulatory support (MCS) therapies to save, support and restore failing hearts, today announced the launch of Thoratec Connect ™, the first Cloud-based advanced MCS program management system.
Thoratec Connect is designed to meet the needs of the ventricular assist device (VAD) teams who provide care to the growing population of MCS patients. HeartMate II®, the only continuous flow LVAD approved for both Bridge-to-Transplantation and Destination Therapy (DT), has been implanted in over 10,000 patients. Moreover, because of growth in the DT indication and lengthening durations of support, the number of patients on ongoing HeartMate II therapy has increased significantly, to over 4,500 individuals, and this population is expected to continue to increase. By streamlining the administrative aspects of ongoing patient management and making information and resources quickly and easily accessible, Thoratec Connect should enable VAD teams to manage their programs more efficiently and apply a greater percentage of their time to direct patient care.
The administrative needs of MCS patient management are time consuming. For example, VAD teams must carefully monitor their patients and track equipment, and they are often burdened by non-standardized paperwork not easily accessible by other team members. According to a survey of 450 VAD Coordinators throughout the U.S. and Canada, administrative tasks result in an average of 13 hours per week per coordinator. The majority of survey respondents stated they are not very satisfied with their current processes for accomplishing these administrative responsibilities.
Thoratec Connect provides a VAD team with centralized access to a range of resources as well as current information regarding their patients. The system facilitates activities that are often performed through manual, paper-based methods. The secure Web-based portal ensures the highest level of protection and secured data access for customers by utilizing industry leading technologies and procedures. Features of the system include:
- Equipment Tracking , including implants and ancillary equipment from the time of Thoratec shipment through patient assignment and service
- To Do Lists for patient care and equipment tracking
- Learning Management through Thoratec eUniversity, an interactive web-based education system for the VAD team
- Product Incident Initiation and Tracking
- Mapping to find other HeartMate II centers and community-based resources for patients who are traveling
- Resources such as document templates, equipment manuals, and instructions for use (IFUs); links to other MCS-related sites
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts