NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Anyone who spends time in the financial markets quickly learns that everything about an efficient market learned in school can get thrown out the window.
Some may question the use of and utility of technical analysis. Technical analysis gets a bad rap because so many "gurus" haven't put the time or the effort needed into learning the difference between a pattern and what is random noise. A sure sign of weakness is someone giving advice without knowing the odds and expected edge.
Technical analysis is like sex: Most think they perform a lot better at it then they really do. If someone says "this stock is good/bad because of _________(add reason here)," ask them how many other similar situations like the current one they have back tested and what is the odds, risk and edge. If all you hear is crickets in the background, you will know how much weight to give the advice.
Here is a list of six stocks that are oversold on the weekly charts. My preferred method to exploit the weakness is to sell put options or write covered calls (pretty much the same thing). The average trade lasts three to four weeks. I am boring, so I like selling time premium, but others have successfully adjusted and use call options to liven up the party.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV