Advisors think China poses the greatest economic threat to Canada according to the inaugural Sun Life Advisor Sentiment Index
TORONTO, June 26, 2012 /CNW/ - Canada's financial advisors are more optimistic about the performance of U.S. markets compared to any other major global equity market, including Canada, over the next 12 months according to the Sun Life Advisor Sentiment Index released today by Sun Life Global Investments. The survey, conducted by Ipsos Reid between April 23 to May 4, 2012, measures Canada's financial advisors' sentiments on capital markets and key economic factors.
Seventy-eight per cent of advisors are optimistic about U.S. markets (including the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 Index) compared to 60 per cent of advisors who say they are optimistic about Canada's S&P/TSX Composite.
"How well the U.S. economy is doing continues to surprise many people and Canada's financial advisors are taking notice of this upward trend," said Sadiq S. Adatia, Chief Investment Officer, Sun Life Global Investments. "We have been optimistic about the U.S. markets since last year and think they offer the most opportunities over the other major equity markets, followed by emerging markets."Advisors see a variety of global economic factors threatening the Canadian economy over the next year. More than half consider a major downturn in China to be among the three greatest threats.
- Fifty-seven per cent of advisors said a significant slowdown in the Chinese economy could pose a threat to Canada in the next 12 months.
- Forty-three per cent of advisors said the same about a breakup of the Eurozone.
- Thirty-nine per cent of advisors said a sovereign debt crisis is among the top three risks to Canada.
- Weak consumer spending (36 per cent), the price of oil (35 per cent) and inflation (22 per cent) also pose threats to our economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV