VA - The "Hush-Hush" Condition of Menopause According to VIVA Results:
The international VIVA (Vaginal Health: Insights, Views & Attitudes) survey was commissioned by Novo Nordisk and conducted by Strategy One and obtained information from 3,520 female respondents aged 55-65 years old from Great Britain, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, the United States of America and included 500 Canadians. The survey assessed their understanding of VA and its overall impact. Key Canadian findings include:
- Only seven per cent could accurately name VA as the condition that included symptoms of vaginal dryness, pain during sex, itching, burning and soreness of the vagina 1C
- Less than half of survey respondents considered that enough information was available about the symptoms and treatment of vaginal discomfort 1D
- Eight in ten (82 per cent) agreed VA would have a negative impact on various aspects of their life 1E
- The majority of women surveyed agree that VA could limit their comfort of doing what they want to do, when they want to do it 1F
- Almost three-quarters of women agree that VA can have negative consequences on a woman's sex life, followed by their ability to have a loving relationship (39 per cent) 1G
- Over half of Canadian women surveyed lack knowledge about local estrogen therapy 7
- Of the Canadian women surveyed, 43 per cent would consider local estrogen therapy, if it would keep their hormone levels normal 1H
For more information about vaginal atrophy, visit TheBigOw.ca. It can't hurt!
About Novo Nordisk Canada Inc.Novo Nordisk is a healthcare company and a world leader in diabetes care and biopharmaceuticals. Novo Nordisk manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products and services that make a significant difference to patients, the medical profession and society. Novo Nordisk's business is driven by the Triple Bottom Line: a commitment to economic success, environmental soundness, and social responsibility to employees and customers. For more information, visit www.novonordisk.ca. References: ______________________________ 1 Novo Nordisk Canada Topline Report: Vaginal Health: Insights, Views and Attitudes. September 2010 2 Abstracts of Papers, Posters and Videos to be presented at the SOGC 68th Annual Clinical Meeting. Available at: http://www.sogc.org/cmes/acm2012/english/documents/2012JOGCabstractSup.pdf. Last accessed June 2012. 3 Novo Nordisk Canada Topline Report: Vaginal Health: Insights, Views and Attitudes. September 2010 4 Mayo Clinic: Vaginal Atrophy Definition. Available at: http://mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-atrophy/DS00770. Last accessed March 2012. 5 The Big Ow- Symptoms. Available at: http://www.thebigow.ca/WhatIsTheBigOw/WhatItFeelsLike.aspx Last accessed February 2012 6 SOGC guidelines R. E. Nappi and M. Kokot-Kierepa: Vaginal Health: Insights, Views & Attitudes (VIVA) - results from an international survey. 7 R. E. Nappi and M. Kokot-Kierepa: Vaginal Health: Insights, Views & Attitudes (VIVA) - results from an international survey. SOURCE Novo Nordisk Canada Inc.