U.S. companies are forecast to increase trade activity by 4.7 percent annually during the next decade as export growth rises with emerging market nations where a shift to consumption is underway, according to a new report released today by HSBC Commercial Banking.
The HSBC Global Connections Trade Forecast, which examines global trade trends during the next five, 10 and 15 years, also finds that U.S. trade growth is forecast to rise 95 percent by 2026, broadly in line with the global trade forecast during the same period.
HSBC’s global trade forecast, produced in association with Delta Economics and covering trade trends occurring in every region of the world, including 20 individual countries, further reveals:
- Despite ongoing global economic difficulties, notably in Europe, global trade is forecast to grow at a robust rate of 4.7 percent annually during the next 15 years
- In next five years, U.S. export growth is expected to rise fastest with emerging market countries, including Peru at 8.7 percent, followed by Turkey and Brazil, both of which are expected to see growth of better than 8 percent
- Annual growth rate of U.S. exports to China are forecasted to outpace U.S. imports from China during next five years
- China and Germany are set to leapfrog the United States to become the world’s largest importers by 2026
- Intra-regional trade continues to be an important driver for U.S. companies, with Canada and Mexico, the United States’ top two export partners and two and three for imports, playing a significant role in the nation’s trade flows
- Biopharmaceuticals and telecommunications equipment are forecasted during the next five years as the two fastest growing non-commodity U.S. exports respectively, growing at 8.6 and 6.7 percent annually
In the shorter-term, the companion HSBC Trade Confidence Index (TCI), conducted twice a year for HSBC (NYSE:HBC) by TNS, finds U.S.-based importers and exporters are very confident about their expected trade volumes during the next six months. The TCI reveals 59 percent of them anticipate an overall increase in trade volumes, up 10 percent from the last TCI released in October 2011. U.S. businesses are also more optimistic about the state of the global economy with 44 percent expecting it to improve by year end, up from only 29 percent that held that same view in the second half of 2011.“Traditional export-driven economies in ‘emerging’ markets are becoming more consumer-driven and importing more from high-end developed nation producers like the United States to fulfill demand,” said Steve Bottomley, Senior Executive Vice President, Head of Commercial Banking, HSBC, North America. “U.S. businesses should not ignore this important shift, and growth driver, but instead position themselves to become beneficiaries of this opportunity that is expected to help fuel global trade for many years to come.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV