But Fisher Investments isn't content with just one Indian play. Instead, the firm is doubling down with Tata Motors (TTM), a $70 billion automaker based in Mumbai. Fisher and company initiated a $21.3 million position in Tata -- that's close to 800,000 shares bought in the latest quarter.
Tata Motors is the biggest carmaker in India, with more than 1 million cars sold for $27 billion in revenues last year. In addition to the firm's home base, countries like the UK, Spain, South Korea, and South Africa are big markets for Tata's cars. On the one hand, Tata is known for making some of the least expensive cars in the world, positioning that's garnered the firm leading market shares for entry-level personal and commercial vehicles. On the other hand, Tata also owns premium British marques in Land Rover and Jaguar, which the firm bought in 2008.>>5 Stocks Immune to Europe's Problems Jaguar and Land Rover gave Tata an immediate presence in the U.S. -- the world's biggest automotive market -- as well as emerging markets like China, where aspirational cars have found a lucrative market. The possibility of Tata's entry to the U.S. market with its sub $10,000 car offerings could shake-up the bargain-end of the spectrum in the next few years. In the meantime, Tata is another good way to leverage middle-income growth in emerging market countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV