HILDEN, Germany and GERMANTOWN, Maryland, June 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Aim to expand next-generation sequencing beyond current focus on life sciences research
- QIAGEN plans to offer sample-to-result workflows that integrate its sample preparation and assay products with a next-generation benchtop sequencer and new bioinformatics
- Initiative combines broad range of QIAGEN products with acquisition of sequencing specialist Intelligent Bio-Systems, Inc. and a new strategic collaboration with SAP AG
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) today unveiled an advanced initiative to enter the field of next-generation sequencing (NGS) that aims to establish these technologies as routine processes used in new areas such as clinical research and molecular diagnostics.
QIAGEN is in the advanced stages of creating sample-to-result, efficient and cost-effective NGS workflow solutions. These will combine a broad range of QIAGEN products - including automated sample preparation solutions (nucleic acid extraction, DNA enrichment, library preparation and targeted gene analysis panels) - with a previously undisclosed next-generation benchtop sequencer in development with Intelligent Bio-Systems, Inc., a privately held company that QIAGEN has acquired. New bioinformatics, including solutions emerging from a new collaboration with SAP AG, will be incorporated into the workflows. A first sample-to-result NGS solution is expected to be launched next year, while details on specifications and launch plans are set to be released in early 2013.
"The rapid advances in next-generation sequencing have enabled life science researchers to unlock many secrets about the molecular building blocks of life. Our ambition is to create a new dimension of benefits for these technologies by offering workflow solutions for clinical use, particularly to develop new medicines and improve healthcare with advanced diagnostics," said Peer M. Schatz, CEO of QIAGEN N.V. "While next-generation sequencing is viewed today mainly as a research tool, our initiative is to expand beyond this and to offer applications designed to address the needs of customers in clinical research and molecular diagnostics."Key elements of this initiative include:
- Content: The development of a broad portfolio of gene panels designed for NGS analysis based on QIAGEN's extensive offering of molecular content, including GeneGlobe ( http://www.geneglobe.com), an online portal that offers access to more than 60,000 well-defined and characterized molecular assays. In the first wave, QIAGEN plans to offer eight preconfigured gene panels for use in cancer, as well as enable customers to create customized panels for specific molecular pathways and diseases.
- Sample technologies: An extensive range of NGS sample preparation products is planned to be launched that are based on QIAGEN's global leadership position in sample technologies and enzymology.
- NGS module: A previously undisclosed NGS benchtop sequencer is in late stages of development with Intelligent Bio-Systems, Inc. (IBS), a privately held U.S. company that QIAGEN has acquired. This novel system can process multiple samples in parallel with highest flexibility and performance, and benefits from the use of proprietary sequencing by synthesis (SBS) technology exclusively licensed from Columbia University. Building on elements of previous IBS designs as well as on QIAGEN technologies, this new system - which is expected to enter beta testing with customers in 2012 - seeks to offer a new dimension of benefits and cost savings. Key features include new sample technologies and software as well as the ability to process up to 20 individual samples in parallel without a need for pooling and bar-coding, which can result in significant time and cost savings in clinical sequencing. Its design allows for flow cells and reagents to be loaded continuously while in operation, and also for up to 20 different assay types to be processed simultaneously and in random order. Many of these features - particularly the parallel processing of multiple samples and continuous loading of reagents and random samples - are considered essential for clinical sequencing. Two automation alternatives are being developed in combination with QIAGEN platforms to create workflow solutions from biological sample through to final result. One workflow integrates the NGS module into the QIAsymphony automation family, while a second is based on the QIAcube automated sample preparation system. Both workflows will offer extensive bioinformatics, including from the SAP collaboration. Financial terms of the IBS acquisition, which was completed during 2012, were not disclosed. "We are very excited to join forces with QIAGEN, which is an ideal partner to bring our new ultra-low cost sequencing technologies to the market as part of a complete workflow that will expand our product's use into new areas," said Steven J. Gordon, Ph.D., CEO and founder of Intelligent Bio-Systems. "We can deliver greater value to our customers from our novel technologies by leveraging QIAGEN's leadership in sample preparation, advanced gene panels and global reach along with the bioinformatics expected to emerge from the collaboration with SAP. Our goal is to better address the demands of clinical and core lab customers for complete solutions, since many have been struggling to adapt existing sequencing platforms to their workflows."
- Bioinformatics: SAP and QIAGEN are collaborating on bioinformatics efforts aimed at significantly reducing the time required for the analysis of sequencing data. The basis for the collaboration will be to apply the breakthrough SAP HANA ® platform in next-generation sequencing interpretation. Reducing this time period is seen as an important factor in driving greater use of sequencing technologies in new areas and reducing overall operating costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV