NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If lower pump prices and energy costs sound appealing you're in luck. Long-term energy prices should continue to fall. More important, natural gas prices are so incredibly low, that even with falling oil prices, natural gas is still an exceptionally attractive alternative.
A perfect sunny day in energy is developing for consumers. Domestic energy production output is climbing, dirt-cheap natural gas is available as far as the eye can see, utilization of natural gas is growing, economic slowdowns in economic activity have taken the wind out of inflation fears, and fewer miles driven suggest the further out we examine the lower the cost of energy. (Read my
Saudi Arabia is pumping and exporting near its capacity in the neighborhood of 10 million barrels a day. OPEC as a whole recently agreed to maintain 30 million barrels a day; however, it's widely known what members of OPEC agree to and what they actually produce is not always the same.
Lower oil prices are vulnerable to lower supplies. Those arguing a reduction in Saudi exports may result in a snap back to $100 have a limited point. Historically, even speculation that Saudi production may decline is enough to firm up prices. Saudi Arabia's influence on prices hasn't diminished significantly; however, what may actually change is the demand reaction to lower output/higher prices.Europe, already hanging by a thin economic thread, hasn't taken part in falling energy price party like America. With a falling euro and oil priced in dollars, energy prices are relatively much higher for manufacturers and gas stations alike. The recent drop in valuation of the euro compared to the dollar keeps demand tempered. The Indian rupee has fallen against the dollar even more. (Read my
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV